Cradled by the western bank of the Huon River in Southern Tasmania is the small village of Franklin, this is where you will find Mikkris House. Originally the home and business of the Howard family; Harold Howard's Emporium serviced the needs of the bustling town and surrounding area as the forestry and boat building industries grew.
Harold Howard built his home in the 1840's and
opened his Emporium selling everything from
possum traps to fine bone china.
Harold's Emporium and family grew along with
Later, forests gave way to apple orchards, and
with a new reliable road link across the Huon
River, Franklin slowly slipped back into being
the quiet riverside village.
After many prosperous years the Howard family
moved away and since then the old emporium
building has been a hardware store, a private home and even a fish and chip shop.
The shop has gone but the house remains. In 1996 the house was renamed Mikkris House opening its doors to the public as a wood-turning gallery.